dEaR dIaRy..

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Everyday is a flag day..

Seems like every Saturday is a flag day now, as charities scramble to mobilize student helpers to help collect donations..

Was passing by Novena this morning, and was grabbing a quick lunch at KFC Novena Square, when I was suddenly approached by these 2 girls holding donation tins.

Flustered? A little. Irritated would have been a better word.

Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms about donating to charities and to flag days, and I had already donated to some other can-toting student before lunch. Ever eaten KFC and have both your hands clean at the same time? Obviously not (unless you're not eating the chicken, but I think that the only thing worth eating at KFC is their chicken).

So there I was, in the middle of eating, with both hands oily and messy, and these 2 girls suddenly approached me in the middle of a bustling shopping centre fast food chain. I tried pointing to the sticker (which was unfortunately stuck to my bag in the seat next to me) but gave up and said that i had already donated. Well, they left, but not before putting a damper on my mood.

Aren't they not allowed to canvass within shopping centres? Maybe the management allowed them. But surely, approaching diners at KFC, of all places, surely isn't the best idea?

Started looking around at the other diners, and saw a group of 4 other can-toting students seating inside KFC - 2 of them playing their individual PSP (play station portables), 1 with a drink, and the last one staring into space. Alright, it was a hot day, but surely they shouldn't sit around inside an eatery playing games while they are supposed to be helping the charity??

*** btw, I'm not the type to usually take the sticker after I donate, unless I'm walking about in an area full of can-toting students, so its useful to fend off the repeat questions, saving everyone some energy, no? =) ***

Now, I've done my fair share of flag selling to help charities, so I've been there done that too. Has it altered my tendencies to donate? Not really. I've been donating all along, so it doesn't make a diff. What has changed rather, is which student I donate to.

I've realized that I tend to donate more to those students who actively come up to me and ask me for a donation (as opposed to them just standing passively by the side of the walkway and hoping for graceful charity). Seeing their effort in going all out to help the charity canvass donations, makes it more enjoyable to donate to those students - and hopefully my positive response would encourage them?

I'll end off with another can-toting student I encountered a few years ago..

I still remember this incident about 3-4 years ago, where i was walking with 2 other friends in Bishan J8. As we were walking towards Bishan MRT, 3 female students with flags were walking towards us (and you know, you just know that they are going to ask you). You could literally see the sea of people parting before them, as they descended upon the 3 of us. My 2 "good" friends conveniently split left and right, leaving me to be accosted by the 3 students. -_-"

Student(s): "Please donate!!" (chorused)

Me: "Donate already! See!" (points in vain to sticker)

Centre girl: "Yah donate already, but can donate some more, rite?? =)"

She had me stunned for a moment.

Haha, I can't remember if I did donate again, but I certainly admired her spunk and spirit, so I hope I did. But yep, that's the spirit and enthusiasm I hope that all student volunteers will have. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home