dEaR dIaRy..

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Women, oh women..

I refer to today's article in Lifestyle, Sunday Times, Page 2 & 3.

It quotes results of a Social Development Service Survey that says that 50% or more of women expect guys to:

1) pay on dates (80%)
2) open doors to cars and restaurants (50%)
3) send their GFs home after a date (90%)
4) initiate celebration of special occaions (96%)
5) dress up for special occasions (88%)

and 24% of women expect guys to
6) carry their handbags

and 7) even meet at least twice a week.

Well, from the title, obviously I have a lot to say/type about.

Now, there are some silent rules which I stand by, whether its for GF or for female friends. But since I'm currently single, I shall hence forth refer to female friends to make things simpler.

1) Sending female friends home is a given, especially if late into the night. Cos its simply not safe. I'm sorry, if its broad daylight, and your house is like on the other side of the island and v far off, and you have a direct bus / mrt there, then i'm sure you can make your way home yourself if i'm not driving. If i'm driving, then i'll certainly drop you at a place where you can make your way home easily.

2) Opening doors is basic courtesy - males or females. As it is, I think that I already open doors for my male and female friends if i'm the one walking in front - its just basic courtesy! With regards to car doors, give me a break. Its not that hard to open the car door. Probably on wedding day or honeymoon.

3) Paying on dates? I think that its fair that the guy picks up the tab like on the first date, or on special occasions, but to expect the guy to pick up the tab for every single date is quite pushing the envelope. Especially if the guy isn't working, or doesn't earn too high a salary. Are you looking for a boyfriend and life partner, or are you looking for a sugar daddy?

4) initiate celebrations on special occasions, and dress up for them. Ok, given societal norms, certain dates are best remembered, e.g. V day, birthdays, yearly anniversaries and what nots, and the guy would be slaughtered for not remembering these. But slot in those 3/4/5/...-monthly anniversaries, and I start to feel over-activity of my superior rectus (orbital) muscles bilaterally. Anyday is a special day as long the 2 of you are together and you all truly love each other.

5) carry handbags? Sure, if there's a valid reason, like you need to go to the washroom, or you need to adjust your shoes or something. Just don't expect this guy to carry your handbag just because you feel like it.

6) and lastly, meet twice a week? Psshhh. With the current work schedule, and in the future, I sometimes think that its even lucky if couples meet once a week if they don't work in the same institution. But once a week should lah.

But is there hope on the horizon?

The ladies interviewed on the right column on page 3 dismissed various viewpoints, and certainly didn't insist that their dream man meet all the above criteria. But hey, no one knows if they reflect the current thought-trend of the dating crowd of the 20-somethings, do they?

But seriously? Some of the points are so archaic. *oculogyric crisis*

Maybe that's why I'm single. Lol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home