dEaR dIaRy..

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Eat your veggies!

Now, I know Swenson's opened their Earle Swenson's restaurant sometime last year with their first branch at VivoCity, but I never got down to trying out the place cos I thought it was just basically the same package under a new name.

Today, I had the opportunity to try their branch at the spanking new T3 (Changi Airport Terminal 3), where now almost every curious Singaporean will go there to just simply check out the decor and F&B outlets in their free time, as T3 becomes the new "VivoCity" of 2008.. -_-" (Think big, spacious, shops, food, and basically nice place to explore on a weekend even if you don't have an air ticket.)

Anyway, Earle Swenson's has the basic Swenson's menu, plus added dishes.. Of course, the "added-ness" applies to the price tag too. Wonder if its smth to do with the location, after all, Thai Express' menu at VivoCity is $1 more than its usual outlets. The most obvious addition would be that of the Buffet Salad Bar, which is included in certain main courses, or $12 if you get it separate.

Now, I am not one for the greens. Friends whom I've gone out with and had the chance to dine at slightly fancier places (sadly, slightly fancier isn't too fancy either. Think dinner at Jap restaurant with Serine & Co on Tuesday with budget of less than $15, which comes with greens) with salad greens on my platter would know that I shove these to the side and treat them as part of the deco.

Yes I love my greens, but I'd have them pre-cooked first, thank you. So I thought it'd be a total waste of money. And the only other buffet salad bar I've tried previously was at Sizzler's, which wasn't my type either. But ah.. Earle Swenson's certainly did their homework on the epidemiology and profile of their customers before coming up with their salad bar menu.

Predominantly family oriented, the Swenson's chain, this salad bar is quite the whole package. For the veggie lover - your basic greens and purples and red leaves and whatnots. For the others who eschew raw greens, here's the beauty of it all! For the kids - there are chips, and crackers; for the fruit salad lovers - the basic watermelon and honey dew, plus a rare addition, the water chestnut (sorry, I rarely see this around except in the wet markets and in Thai desserts). And for the rest, a variety of other non-leafy salady stuff like cherry tomatoes, sweet potatoes, potatoes, squid in some interesting citrus sauce, croutons, and a whole array of other sauces and dips which do not exactly feature in my palate.

I had to remind myself after the salad appetizer that I had actually ordered a main course. =P (Quite a decent price tag since the salad bar was included, I suppose.)

The main course was pleasant as usual, but for me, the salad stole the show tonight. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home