End of Paeds..
Today is officially the last day of Paediatrics posting.. It's been a really enjoyable posting.. The kids are so adorable, and I somehow find it easier to talk to parents and kids, adults especially when they are not the ones lying in bed sick during Medicine posting..
I remember telling Claris about my most "powerful toy" to calm the most irate child - this neon orange rubbery furball which would light up when smacked on the floor.. It's even got itself the cute name of "Kiwi", thanks to Prof Hugo van Bever, who made me research up a little on Latex allergies in Spina Bifida patients, and Kiwi fruits (of course, and bananas, nuts, more fruits..) Anyway, I stopped using the flashing lights function after realizing that it could have precipitated a fit.. I certainly don't want to be the cause of a Code Blue in the ward with the crash trolley rushing towards me with the whole stream of doctors and nurses... O_O
Oh yeah, coming back to "Kiwi".. It was going pretty well till week 7, then this young infant grabbed it and put it to his mouth! Eep.. I've never let them put my toys in their mouths, cos I have to wash and disinfect them later.. (which I had to do for my yellow rubber ducky previously.. =P) anyway, so i took back Kiwi quickly, and ran him under the tap water.. Before I could even apply the Clorhexidine, the whole thing deflated in my hand!! ArGh. There was a hole in it.. -_-" Lynn was saying that probably there was some oil coating on it to maintain surface tension or smth, till i washed it, which resulted in its "involution".. Haiz.
So that's 1 toy out the window. At least it was only a dollar. =P
Lost 1 out of my 4 rubber squeaky toys to a young Malay girl, who kept bugging me.. Well, there goes my red colour Nemo fish.. =P Well, guess Kermit the froggie, rubber duckie and rubber chicky will have to make their way into Year 5 Paeds posting without their friend.. =P
So yeah, the theory test was on Wednesday, which i completely threw 1 whole MEQ question on platelets, cos I didn't really study that.. ARGH. Then more marks dropped here and there, as the tutor went through the answers at the end of the paper..
Clinical test on Thursday was a patient with meningoencephalitis, and complicated by focal seizure.. Of course, on hindsight, everything seems straightforward.. But I fumbled through the discussion.. didn't manage to get the encephalitis part sans for a differential.. and the focal seizure totally threw me off.. I was like, was that a seizure? Urgh.
Prof Loke and Dr Loh as testers.. Prof Loke had his poker face on, so at least I could still look towards Dr Loh's expressions as a guide to my multiple errors.. Argh. Still can't believe I blurted out "Febrile fits" as a possible diagnosis, only to see Dr Loh undergo exopthalmos and proptosis immediately, which prompted me to quip in quickly that "erm, but febrile fits are only from 6months to 6 years old, so this patient 14 years old, can't be a febrile fit.. "
Wah lau. Die liao lah.
**********
anyway, wat's over is over.. can't do too much about it right.. only hope and wait for the results loh..
Took today to rush out my overseas elective stuff.. Thursday yesterday rushed home to grab my health booklets in between clinical test and afternoon lectures, and hopped down to UHWC to meet Dr Victor Loh to help settle the immunization part..
SATA this morning for Mantoux test.. Had quite a loong wait.. Aiyoh. I walked in, saw only like 3 pple in the outside waiting area, and thought I'll be out in like 15 minutes max. Who knew I waited an hour, watching the pple who were there for like X-rays, Mammogram, or to see the doctor, come later than me, and leave earlier than me.. which prompted me to quip to the receptionist, "Wah.. Today short of nurses hah? Will I be faster if I were here to see the doctor or to get a mammogram done myself? =P"
Oh well. Staff on leave due to public holiday tomorrow.. Ok lah nvm.. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry.. Entered the treatment room to find the rather harried nurse bustling about, and my mood immediately softened.. So i subjected myself meekly to her intradermal needle, and smiled slightly as she nagged me not to scratch the Mantoux test area, and to come back on Monday for the measurement..
Lunch appointment with Chris, Dave, Jan and Susan after they finished with their O&G exams! Quick lunch followed by a hilarious afternoon of board games at Settler's Boat Quay.. $5.50 for 4 hours on a weekday afternoon.. not too bad.. =)
Looking forwards to 2 week holidays! But before that, have to clear my other stuff like yearbook articles.. Eeks.
I remember telling Claris about my most "powerful toy" to calm the most irate child - this neon orange rubbery furball which would light up when smacked on the floor.. It's even got itself the cute name of "Kiwi", thanks to Prof Hugo van Bever, who made me research up a little on Latex allergies in Spina Bifida patients, and Kiwi fruits (of course, and bananas, nuts, more fruits..) Anyway, I stopped using the flashing lights function after realizing that it could have precipitated a fit.. I certainly don't want to be the cause of a Code Blue in the ward with the crash trolley rushing towards me with the whole stream of doctors and nurses... O_O
Oh yeah, coming back to "Kiwi".. It was going pretty well till week 7, then this young infant grabbed it and put it to his mouth! Eep.. I've never let them put my toys in their mouths, cos I have to wash and disinfect them later.. (which I had to do for my yellow rubber ducky previously.. =P) anyway, so i took back Kiwi quickly, and ran him under the tap water.. Before I could even apply the Clorhexidine, the whole thing deflated in my hand!! ArGh. There was a hole in it.. -_-" Lynn was saying that probably there was some oil coating on it to maintain surface tension or smth, till i washed it, which resulted in its "involution".. Haiz.
So that's 1 toy out the window. At least it was only a dollar. =P
Lost 1 out of my 4 rubber squeaky toys to a young Malay girl, who kept bugging me.. Well, there goes my red colour Nemo fish.. =P Well, guess Kermit the froggie, rubber duckie and rubber chicky will have to make their way into Year 5 Paeds posting without their friend.. =P
So yeah, the theory test was on Wednesday, which i completely threw 1 whole MEQ question on platelets, cos I didn't really study that.. ARGH. Then more marks dropped here and there, as the tutor went through the answers at the end of the paper..
Clinical test on Thursday was a patient with meningoencephalitis, and complicated by focal seizure.. Of course, on hindsight, everything seems straightforward.. But I fumbled through the discussion.. didn't manage to get the encephalitis part sans for a differential.. and the focal seizure totally threw me off.. I was like, was that a seizure? Urgh.
Prof Loke and Dr Loh as testers.. Prof Loke had his poker face on, so at least I could still look towards Dr Loh's expressions as a guide to my multiple errors.. Argh. Still can't believe I blurted out "Febrile fits" as a possible diagnosis, only to see Dr Loh undergo exopthalmos and proptosis immediately, which prompted me to quip in quickly that "erm, but febrile fits are only from 6months to 6 years old, so this patient 14 years old, can't be a febrile fit.. "
Wah lau. Die liao lah.
**********
anyway, wat's over is over.. can't do too much about it right.. only hope and wait for the results loh..
Took today to rush out my overseas elective stuff.. Thursday yesterday rushed home to grab my health booklets in between clinical test and afternoon lectures, and hopped down to UHWC to meet Dr Victor Loh to help settle the immunization part..
SATA this morning for Mantoux test.. Had quite a loong wait.. Aiyoh. I walked in, saw only like 3 pple in the outside waiting area, and thought I'll be out in like 15 minutes max. Who knew I waited an hour, watching the pple who were there for like X-rays, Mammogram, or to see the doctor, come later than me, and leave earlier than me.. which prompted me to quip to the receptionist, "Wah.. Today short of nurses hah? Will I be faster if I were here to see the doctor or to get a mammogram done myself? =P"
Oh well. Staff on leave due to public holiday tomorrow.. Ok lah nvm.. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry.. Entered the treatment room to find the rather harried nurse bustling about, and my mood immediately softened.. So i subjected myself meekly to her intradermal needle, and smiled slightly as she nagged me not to scratch the Mantoux test area, and to come back on Monday for the measurement..
Lunch appointment with Chris, Dave, Jan and Susan after they finished with their O&G exams! Quick lunch followed by a hilarious afternoon of board games at Settler's Boat Quay.. $5.50 for 4 hours on a weekday afternoon.. not too bad.. =)
Looking forwards to 2 week holidays! But before that, have to clear my other stuff like yearbook articles.. Eeks.





2 Comments:
Oh no i'm so sorry about kiwi! i tot it looked kinda cute haha x
By
KC, at 5:31 PM
Haha thanks.. I showed you that before meh? Oh yeah.. in TCC! =)
By
Alvin, at 10:06 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home