dEaR dIaRy..

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Palliative Care & Home Visit

As part of the Family Medicine posting, we had a morning attachment to the palliative care services. So I found myself headed over to Bright Vision Hospital on a fine Tuesday morning. (for those who have no idea where it is, it's near the intersection between Serangoon North and Hougang, opposite Bowen Secondary).

Bright Vision has been in its current site for 5 years already, yet the building looks beautifully new and zen in its pristine white architecture and clever use of glass features. Shown around the building, we saw the various wards and equipment that they kept. Apparently Bright Vision has a whole array of services, catering not just for palliative care, but also step-down care, rehab care, and even chronic care services, just to name a few. Being a pretty vertical building with almost 5 storeys of wards, I was rather impressed with the multiple ramps connecting each floor, reminiscent of the airport.

Although we didn't get to talk to the patients there, but we got a chance to see the great work that they do there.

Oh, being a little behind time, we rushed off to follow the nurses of the Hospice Care Association as they made their home visits to their respective patients. So began our "little tour" of Sengkang since I drove, as we made our way to the first patient's home.

After 3 successive home visits, I suddenly wondered if I was actually living in a HDB flat myself. I mean, we live together in such close proximity with our neighbours, yet it had never really struck me that there are people who might be walking the final steps of their lives so close amongst us, and then there are these wonderful angels who visit them in their houses to help them through this final phase - to help them live life to the fullest in the final days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home