Public Health Screening 2006
Supposed to be a yearly event, this year's Public Health Screening (PHS) '06 was brought back after a 2 year hiatus. I vividly recall my experience helping out as a M1 with only 3 months experience into Med Sch 2 years ago. Back then, being blur, we were all assigned to pretty easy tasks such as helping the participants fill in the questionnaire, processing the forms, and calling out names and directing them to the cubicles for consultation. Somehow, we even found time to have fun by beating each other to flipping the call number board, and ringing the bell.. =)
This year, being M3s, I figured that I could finally do something more active, mebbe like manning the glucometer station to help measure blood glucose levels (Diabetes Mellitus test) or even take blood pressure. The last time I helped out at the health screening at Kwong Wai Shiu hospital sometime earlier this year, doing the blood sugar testing was actually quite enjoyable.. =P
Anyway, was nursing a mild sinus congestion as I made my way down on the 2nd day of PHS '06, at 1pm to relieve the morning shift pple, sounding pretty hoarse for the past 3 days already. And to my horrors, I found out that I was actually assigned to man one of the many consultation booths! O_O
Well, that kinda took me by surprise, since I didn't really have any experience doing such stuff - i mean, talking and clerking patients in the hospital bedside setting ain't exactly the same as manning a small consultation booth at PHS. Plus, I couldn't foresee how I was gonna make myself audible to the patient sitting opposite me.. So with a little trepidation, I settled into my new role, having been briefed on my job scope and duties, and barely had time for a breather before my first "patient" appeared in front of me.
Was a little jittery for the first few patients, as i barely had time to settle down and gather my thoughts, but thankfully after like the 2nd or 3rd patient, it started coming pretty naturally, looking at the questionnaire sheets, the BMI, BP and blood glucose readings, to check if they were abnormal, and dishing out health advice and suggestions tailored to the individual. Adding on different medical histories and symptoms, and questions fielded by the "patients", it all made for a pretty interesting afternoon spent, if i might say! =)
I could almost hear Prof Wong ML sitting next to me, spouting out all the COFM advice on dieting, exercise, as COFM actually became a little more alive and relevant - even shared some eating tips with this lady who was lamenting on the oily food which her parents cook. Yeah, just tip the dish so that the oil drains down, then take the meat from the top of the dish.. pretty easy and common sense rite? See? Starting with small steps, we can all start leading healthier and more active lifestyles! =)
Anyway, armed with bottles of water and Strepsils (courtesy of Jolin), the afternoon literally flew by, and soon we were wrapping up at 7pm as the last patient left.. All in all, I had a really great time! I finally figured out how doctors can sit in the clinics for many hours at a stretch without feeling tired or hungry or even looking at the clock, cos when you're busy, time really flies by.. But yeah, the life of a GP ain't exactly easy.. Haha..
Looking forward to next year's PHS '07 already! =)
This year, being M3s, I figured that I could finally do something more active, mebbe like manning the glucometer station to help measure blood glucose levels (Diabetes Mellitus test) or even take blood pressure. The last time I helped out at the health screening at Kwong Wai Shiu hospital sometime earlier this year, doing the blood sugar testing was actually quite enjoyable.. =P
Anyway, was nursing a mild sinus congestion as I made my way down on the 2nd day of PHS '06, at 1pm to relieve the morning shift pple, sounding pretty hoarse for the past 3 days already. And to my horrors, I found out that I was actually assigned to man one of the many consultation booths! O_O
Well, that kinda took me by surprise, since I didn't really have any experience doing such stuff - i mean, talking and clerking patients in the hospital bedside setting ain't exactly the same as manning a small consultation booth at PHS. Plus, I couldn't foresee how I was gonna make myself audible to the patient sitting opposite me.. So with a little trepidation, I settled into my new role, having been briefed on my job scope and duties, and barely had time for a breather before my first "patient" appeared in front of me.
Was a little jittery for the first few patients, as i barely had time to settle down and gather my thoughts, but thankfully after like the 2nd or 3rd patient, it started coming pretty naturally, looking at the questionnaire sheets, the BMI, BP and blood glucose readings, to check if they were abnormal, and dishing out health advice and suggestions tailored to the individual. Adding on different medical histories and symptoms, and questions fielded by the "patients", it all made for a pretty interesting afternoon spent, if i might say! =)
I could almost hear Prof Wong ML sitting next to me, spouting out all the COFM advice on dieting, exercise, as COFM actually became a little more alive and relevant - even shared some eating tips with this lady who was lamenting on the oily food which her parents cook. Yeah, just tip the dish so that the oil drains down, then take the meat from the top of the dish.. pretty easy and common sense rite? See? Starting with small steps, we can all start leading healthier and more active lifestyles! =)
Anyway, armed with bottles of water and Strepsils (courtesy of Jolin), the afternoon literally flew by, and soon we were wrapping up at 7pm as the last patient left.. All in all, I had a really great time! I finally figured out how doctors can sit in the clinics for many hours at a stretch without feeling tired or hungry or even looking at the clock, cos when you're busy, time really flies by.. But yeah, the life of a GP ain't exactly easy.. Haha..
Looking forward to next year's PHS '07 already! =)





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home