dEaR dIaRy..

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Holidays? Hhmmm...

* Bish. sorry for the dearth of photos in this post.. they haven arrived yet.. -_-" whoever's reading this, and has the photos, can send me please?? =P Thank you!!


14/12 Wednesday (St Andrew's)

Headed down to St Andrew's Community hospital in Changi to carol! =) Last year, St Andrew's was still at Siglap, and I recall that it was a little dark and dreary for a hospital - you know, the typical impression of community hospitals is that it should be bright & sunny & cheerful! Whee~

Ok yah, anyway, this new St Andrew's Hospital was a spanking 10-storey building. We met at Simei MRT early as usual, and proceeded to the nearby HDB void deck to practise before the real thing.. And I realised that we sounded bad.. Aahhh.. we're always at a perpetual shortage of female voices. -_-" never mind the altos, part we never have enough sops to make the melody line loud enough.. Aaahhh....

Anyway, miraculously, we pulled it off quite smoothly, and I was so relieved.. at least we didn't get thrown out or smth.. -_-""" Went for dinner at KFC. Major bad move. -_-""" My throat was already feeling bad due to the pringles on Sunday, and the new spicy chicken din help at all!! Sheesh.. yes yes.. so i was moving around the next few days with a really bad throat.. -_-""" which carried on to St Luke's on Friday..


16/12 Friday (St Luke's)

Sheesh.. this is the 1st time I'm heading directly to carol from school.. Had to field so many questions and curious stares about the white long sleeves and black pants and shoes, throughtout the day.. The last day of school, with 1 lecture, 1 PBL and 1 tutorial.. I certainly wish school had ended much earlier.. Haiz..

Ever heard of deja vu? Last year, when we came to St Luke's, we were singing on the 2nd floor outside this men's ward, when 1 patient shouted at us to get lost. O_O yes i know, but the answer is no. We weren't THAT bad. -_-" Anyway, this year, we were singing at the same ward again, when some guy shouted for us to go also! o_O there we were.. hesitant about what to do, when this kind elderly man told us that the other guy was a little crazy? and encouraged us to go on singing? Anyway, we packed up pretty quickly and moved on to the next ward.. O_O


19/12 Monday (NUH!! =))

another busy day.. *when will i ever get to sit down and mug?!?!?!* headed over to KKH in the morning for the comm service meeting. The turnout was especially dismal on the side of the M2s. I felt a little disheartened at the low turnout - i mean, we're medical students. You guys have signed up for this, and you know of the commitment, so shouldn't you turn up for the briefing? It's a matter of personal responsibility. I mean, if you really have nothing on, then ok lah.. but if you wanna save that 3 hours just to mug, then i dunno lah. mebbe its a personal thing. Who am I to judge people? Bah. Sheesh. =(

Anyway, headed home to grab a quick shower, then onto NUH in the afternoon to prepare for our evening caroling session at the paeds wards. Ernest had a legion event, so he wasn't coming, and somehow, I do not know why, I volunteered to conduct for him. -_-" see lah. i so kay-kiang. It didn't exactly help my nerves that the two senior Ms (really senior.. MO now i tink..) David & Darren turned up.. Wah. was so nervous that i'd screw up big time in front of them, since i have only conducted once in my whole life during last year's caroling.

Anyway, after a few hesitant starts and a few hiccups here and there, i settled into the rythmn, and fortunately, everybody got used to my hand gestures. =P I still tink its quite hard to conduct and sing at the same time. *I wonder how Ernest does it.. Hhmmm..* I'm like, conduct conduct, then suddenly, "Eh? I need to sing hor.." Then opens mouth to sing a few lines, before seeing something to signal to the rest, then forgetting to sing again.. =P

Things went pretty smoothly in the wards.. =P as it was the kids' wards, we decided to sing more secular songs instead..

My most memorable incident was in this ward, when a kid's father came up to me, and asked if we had any donation bag. For a second, I was stunned. I guess the concept of caroling to canvass for donations for charity hadn't really crossed my mind, since we're not really a professional caroling group. I told him that we weren't out to collect funds for charity, and that it was perfectly ok.. But what really touched me was that even though he probably needs the money, I mean his child is sick in hospital, he was willing to donate to help other people who need it more.. Wow...

Of course, looking at the reverse side of the coin, it could also mean that our singing is quite decent.. Haha, so shameless of me.. =P


20/12 Tuesday

met up with the sisterhood & Chris today.. =) It was indeed a rare sight! Haha.. Can't believe that Huiwen actually managed to garner full attendance of Serine, WL, LM, RX.. should have taken a photo! =P we went to this foodcourt on the 4th storey of Wisma, which was really quite nice! Haha.. haven been to Wisma in a while.. Apparently they have this 60's theme there.. The food was quite decent, they even had the concept of the dim sum trolley, cool!

Hopped over to Cineleisure kbox after that, where we sang our (mine at least) voices hoarse, before Chris & I left to head to his house for a Medicine LT28 rows 9,10,11 steamboat dinner.. =) Grabbed the drinks while waiting for the other girls.. -_-" yes, we were 40mins late, but I predicted that we would still be the first ones there, which was true! Sheesh. Medicine pple generally have a bad habit of keeping to timings.. -_-"""

Pre-dinner Pictionary was a blast! =) Chris, Gabby & I pulled ahead of the pack and won.. Haha.. I especially liked my drawing of the word "eclipse" - my sketch of the crescent moon was lambasted by the girls as a goreng pisang, but hey, Chris got it.. =D that's the trick of Pictionary - to draw your pictures sufficiently well so that your teammates can guess telepathically =P, yet sufficiently abstract enough to confound the opposing teams.. =D

Steamboat dinner was a blast.. =) lazy non-chefs like me and Susan would park ourselves at the end of the table while wonderful chefs like Dave, Gabby and the other girls clustered around the hotplate (there was only 1 ), and we'd ask for food.. Haha.. but hey, we did our share of cooking the steamboat, k? =)

Dinner was followed by the soft-launch of our Europe trip video!! =) Haha.. finally, after almost 6 months, its out!! I'll show it to you guys another time.. =) totally exciting, scandalous and gossipy.. =D

Birthday celebrations for Nat & Pearlly closed up the evening, and all of us ran helter-skelter to try to catch the last bus/train home.. =P

Haiz.. wat a busy week.. and in less than an hour's time, i'll be heading out for another caroling session at Prof Hwang's house... Will post more photos next time.. Buh-byez! =D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home