Transplant
Been busy the last 2 nights.. It was during the exit rounds on Monday evening, that we got wind of a harvest that was about to take place that night. Harvest - harvesting the organs of a deceased donor under HOTA for transplant to other needy patients.
Have never seen a transplant operation before, so was quite grateful that the consultant allowed us to go watch one..
Drove down to AH at 10pm that evening to observe the procedure.. Felt rather sad for the patient, who was considered young by many means. Under the HOTA in Singapore, doctors can harvest the liver, kidneys, heart and corneas to transplant to needy patients, with many conditions and checks in place. Got to watch the liver and kidney harvesting before leaving close to 1.30am. Was quite an eye-opener, if I must say.
I'm not going to go too much into the ethics of HOTA as this blog isn't meant for that. Neither am i going to go too much into the transplant itself, as certain portions might be sensitive.
The transplant into the recipient only took place the next day, and thankfully it went off without too much of a problem.
A new lease of life. A new hope.
I hope the graft works successfully. =)
Have never seen a transplant operation before, so was quite grateful that the consultant allowed us to go watch one..
Drove down to AH at 10pm that evening to observe the procedure.. Felt rather sad for the patient, who was considered young by many means. Under the HOTA in Singapore, doctors can harvest the liver, kidneys, heart and corneas to transplant to needy patients, with many conditions and checks in place. Got to watch the liver and kidney harvesting before leaving close to 1.30am. Was quite an eye-opener, if I must say.
I'm not going to go too much into the ethics of HOTA as this blog isn't meant for that. Neither am i going to go too much into the transplant itself, as certain portions might be sensitive.
The transplant into the recipient only took place the next day, and thankfully it went off without too much of a problem.
A new lease of life. A new hope.
I hope the graft works successfully. =)





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home