Ok. I just saw an article in today's Straits Times forum that made me see red.
A student from a "reputable junior college in the Bishan-Ang Mo Kio area" wrote in , complaining abt her school carrying out PE lessons in the open last Thursday when the PSI index was 95. She commented that the visibility was really poor, and the burning smell of the haze was really strong, yet the teachers still held PE in the open field and track.
First of all - it is a NO BRAINER that the "reputable junior college in the Bishan-Ang Mo Kio area" is RJC. OH PLEASE. You might has well hang a shining red beacon, advertising it to the whole world. Further gripes:
- A PSI index of sub 100 is considered in the moderate range. If the index had gone above 100 into the unhealthy range, I'm sure the ministry, government or relevant authorities would have said something already. You tink that the PE teachers are so free issit??! Must go and check the Met Station website every hour for PSI updates for you issit? Come on.
- Breathing in air of PSI 95 during 1 PE lesson won't kill you. Its like, oh, french fries will kill you because of the high fat content. But you still eat it?! Obviously such things are long term lah. I mean, unless you are asthmatic or sensitive to the air pollution, then I'm sure the teachers would have excused you from PE lessons if you had said so. That being so, if you're a perfectly normal healthy person who tries to convince the teacher to hold PE indoors - its no wonder ANY TEACHER would think that you are trying to "keng".
- And the lung isn't exactly defenseless, k?? There are MACROPHAGES in the lung alveoli which EAT UP the CARBON PARTICLES in the air. And before that - Vibrissae (nose hairs) and mucous traps all the dust particles and you swallow them into your stomach where they are digested and bacteria killed. Sheesh.
And my most peeved point:
- What in the world about this issue warrants a NEWSPAPER FORUM ARTICLE?!?!?!? CRAZY!
You think teachers have nothing better to do than to answer your complains and responses on the newspapers issit?! The school is already so busy handling the larger 2nd intake students, this year being the year of the Dragon, and the many appeals, that they so free to entertain you issit?? And its such a minor issue, I'm sure you could have brought it up to your Civics Tutor CT or some other higher head of dept lah. They would definitely been happy to entertain your feedback.
The last thing that RJC needs now is a media firestorm - following the recent brouhaha over the taupok incident. Which reminds me. I'm pretty sure that other schools also held PE lessons in the open during that fateful thursday morning of the PSI = 95. So, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?!?! Sheesh. If I hadn't known any better, I would have thought that you were some spy trying to tarnish my alma mater's name.
The new generations of Rafflesians are seriously getting soft. I can sympathise with the teachers, having relief taught for while. And the last thing any teacher would want to do, is to entertain media queries. Some things should be kept in the house!!! I mean, there is absolutely NO NEED WHATSOEVER.
That being said, the Straits Times Forum deserves MORE WORTHY letters to be published. The space should be given to more important, national issues.
To the person: Go do 6 X 6 = 36 laps around the track.
A student from a "reputable junior college in the Bishan-Ang Mo Kio area" wrote in , complaining abt her school carrying out PE lessons in the open last Thursday when the PSI index was 95. She commented that the visibility was really poor, and the burning smell of the haze was really strong, yet the teachers still held PE in the open field and track.
First of all - it is a NO BRAINER that the "reputable junior college in the Bishan-Ang Mo Kio area" is RJC. OH PLEASE. You might has well hang a shining red beacon, advertising it to the whole world. Further gripes:
- A PSI index of sub 100 is considered in the moderate range. If the index had gone above 100 into the unhealthy range, I'm sure the ministry, government or relevant authorities would have said something already. You tink that the PE teachers are so free issit??! Must go and check the Met Station website every hour for PSI updates for you issit? Come on.
- Breathing in air of PSI 95 during 1 PE lesson won't kill you. Its like, oh, french fries will kill you because of the high fat content. But you still eat it?! Obviously such things are long term lah. I mean, unless you are asthmatic or sensitive to the air pollution, then I'm sure the teachers would have excused you from PE lessons if you had said so. That being so, if you're a perfectly normal healthy person who tries to convince the teacher to hold PE indoors - its no wonder ANY TEACHER would think that you are trying to "keng".
- And the lung isn't exactly defenseless, k?? There are MACROPHAGES in the lung alveoli which EAT UP the CARBON PARTICLES in the air. And before that - Vibrissae (nose hairs) and mucous traps all the dust particles and you swallow them into your stomach where they are digested and bacteria killed. Sheesh.
And my most peeved point:
- What in the world about this issue warrants a NEWSPAPER FORUM ARTICLE?!?!?!? CRAZY!
You think teachers have nothing better to do than to answer your complains and responses on the newspapers issit?! The school is already so busy handling the larger 2nd intake students, this year being the year of the Dragon, and the many appeals, that they so free to entertain you issit?? And its such a minor issue, I'm sure you could have brought it up to your Civics Tutor CT or some other higher head of dept lah. They would definitely been happy to entertain your feedback.
The last thing that RJC needs now is a media firestorm - following the recent brouhaha over the taupok incident. Which reminds me. I'm pretty sure that other schools also held PE lessons in the open during that fateful thursday morning of the PSI = 95. So, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?!?! Sheesh. If I hadn't known any better, I would have thought that you were some spy trying to tarnish my alma mater's name.
The new generations of Rafflesians are seriously getting soft. I can sympathise with the teachers, having relief taught for while. And the last thing any teacher would want to do, is to entertain media queries. Some things should be kept in the house!!! I mean, there is absolutely NO NEED WHATSOEVER.
That being said, the Straits Times Forum deserves MORE WORTHY letters to be published. The space should be given to more important, national issues.
To the person: Go do 6 X 6 = 36 laps around the track.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home